Monday, September 17, 2012

Thai Turkey Burgers with Peanut Sauce

Recipe lightly adapted from Iowa Girl Eats by: Amber (Dessert Now, Dinner Later!)
For the Burgers:

1lb lean ground turkey breast (I only used 3/4 lb, but I only made 3 patties)
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli
3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Sandwich Thins
Crisp lettuce, or spinach leaves
For the Peanut Sauce:

3 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp water
1 clove garlic
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp hot chili sauce (sriracha)
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Create peanut sauce by combining peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, garlic, sesame oil, sriracha, honey & ground ginger in a food processor or blender. Blend until very smooth. Reserve 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp & set aside.
Combine remaining peanut sauce with turkey, carrots, broccoli, cilantro, green onions, salt, red pepper flakes, & black pepper in a large bowl. Mix well & form into 4 patties (if using 1lb of turkey.)
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat & spray with non-stick spray. Cook patties for 3-4 minutes on one side, then spray the top with more non-stick spray, flip & cook 3-4 minutes more or until burgers are no longer pink in the middle. (*May grill on an outdoor grill, but make sure that grill rack is heavily oiled.)
Place a burger patty on each bun & top with 2 teaspoons of the reserved peanut sauce. Add lettuce or baby spinach for crunch & serve.

1 comment:

  1. I took these camping with us, so while I can't comment on them in a burger form, I will say that when you put them in a foil packet and load them up with veggies, they make the best tin-foil dinners. We poured the sauce on top also, which was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete