Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Baked Monte Cristo Sandwiches


Monte Cristo Sandwich

Ingredients
    • 8 slices bread ( I use challah)
    • 4 teaspoons honey dijon mustard
    • 8 slices thin deli sliced swiss cheese
    • 8 slices thin deli ham
    • 8 slices thin deli sliced turkey ( I like smoked)
    • 3 large eggs
    • 2 tablespoons flour
    • 1 tablespoon melted butter
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons milk ( low fat to try to keep it low in fat!)
    • powdered sugar, for dusting
    • raspberry preserves, for dipping

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 425°F.
  2. Lightly butter a baking sheet pan. I use the spray.
  3. Spread 1/2 teaspoon mustard on each slice of bread.
  4. Layer between mustard sides of two slices of bread, 1 slice cheese, 2 slices ham, 2 slices turkey, and another slice of cheese.
  5. Repeat to make four sandwiches. Whisk eggs, flour, butter, salt and pepper in a shallow dish until smooth.
  6. Blend in milk.
  7. DIP both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture until bread is lightly soaked.
  8. Place on baking sheet; drizzle any remaining egg mixture over top of sandwiches. 
    1. Bake 8-10 minutes until bottom is golden brown.
    2. Turn with wide spatula and continue baking 8-10 minutes or until second side is golden brown.
    3. Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar and dip or spread raspberry preserves on sandwiches.
    4. Garnish with fresh raspberries.

2 comments:

  1. Remember to spray the pan! I forgot to! But they tasted delicious & we loved them! It made 9 sandwiches for us and all but one of them got gobbled up! I served the other half of the frozen french fries from Haley's meal with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids really liked this. It was a great change from our regular menu.

    ReplyDelete